Friday, July 31, 2009

The midlines of my mouth are asymmetrical, could it be just because of crooked teeth?

I don't really know if it's just my teeth or my whole jaw, here are some details i do know:





In an x-ray, my jaws show a difference of 2 mm. The dr. that took out my wisdom teeth drew some lines to measure the jaws, and they aren't completely symmetrical, but i know no one's face is perfectly symmetrical. Is 2mm too much of a difference?


Also, that was in the x-ray, cause i had to bite down on a wooden stick, if i bite all the way down where my teeth actually meet, the difference between my midlines is about 5mm.


My whole mouth is to the left and is lower on my right side. My teeth don't show the typical malocclusion, but they do look as if placed in a diagonal, instead of vertical.





I would consider getting braces if they would fix my asymmetrical face, but I'm afraid they'll mess up my jaw more, or that I'll end up looking worse.





Do you know if this type of thing can happen because of a malocclusion, or is it necessarily a jaw problem that will require surgery?

The midlines of my mouth are asymmetrical, could it be just because of crooked teeth?
this question really requires you to sit down with a dentist, rather than over yahoo. but here's a couple of things to think about before you do go back to the DDS





1) xrays are 2D and dependent on the position of you and position of the tube that shoots the xrays. so measuring symmetry on film may be misleading.





2) midline really should be judge not on film but with the face too. so you nose, the philtrum, your eyes, your chin, and your teeth too. stand in front of the mirror and check if the teeth align with the rest of your face. so 2mm may be nothing or it could be everything.





3) braces: this should help if done properly. however, your orthodontist should consider amount of teeth that need to move, how much space there is to play with, your age, your molars, wisdom teeth, etc, etc. uprighting teeth is easy to do esp the fronts, but if you don't have space to move them, it cause problems in other parts of your mouth.





good luck and keep flossing and brushing!



hair tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net